My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://journeytosanctification.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

It turns out... [revised]

I'm that guy.  We just had our company holiday party, and I saw a lot of my friends' spouses.  I see my friends at work all the time, but I only see their spouses twice a year.  And the last time was back in July.  I've changed a lot since then.  I can't tell you how many people saw me and were just blown away.  That left me really inspired and enthused to kick some butt these next few weeks.  I even gave my blog out to some more people.  I don't expect to see them comment on here, but one friend actually said that I inspire him.  I'm that guy who inspires people.  How completely cool is that?!  I was just in awe. 

And then the wife of one of my best friends at work and I talked toward the end of the night.  She and Anna and I stood there chatting for the better part of 15 minutes.  During the conversation, she asked me what keeps me motivated.  And I came up three sources of my motivation (at the time):

  1. Myself.  I've been doing this now for almost 10 months.  That's a long time, and I've come a long way.  And I know that I NEVER want to go back to the way I was.  I just wasn't happy.  I didn't like having to shop at the Big & Tall store.  I didn't like getting winded walking up the dang staircase.  So, yeah, I know I just won't let myself fall back.
  2. Anna.  I am lucky to have the best wife in the world.  Sorry, folks, you may think you have the best wife, husband, partner; but I've got to let you know that I do.  She is amazing.  And I know she'll love me through anything.  But I also know that she loves me so much that she won't let me get away with being lazy; she won't let me regain all that I've worked so hard to lose.  Not that she'll force me to eat well, but she will help me to think about whether it really is worth it to eat poorly and be lazy and fall back into my old habits.  Just knowing that I want her to have a hot husband helps motivate me.
  3. You all.  You guys really are a huge source of motivation for me.  Just knowing that you stop by (even if you're not all commenting--or even if you are!) helps me to keep on track.  I can't let myself falter, because I know you all will keep me accountable.  It's amazing that you all are doing such a great job--no matter where you are on your journey.  And honestly, that is what keeps me going: you all inspire me every time I read one of your posts.  Seriously.  
  4. God.  Not sure why this didn't come to mind at the time (probably because I'm not always comfortable talking about my spiritual life all the time--but it is getting easier).  But God really is the most influential source of motivation for me on this journey.  You can see the detailed reason why at my first post, but really it comes down to the fact taht God created me.  And If I abuse that creation, I'm not comfortable with myself.  I'm pretty sure He knows better than I do how I should look/act/be.   

Up to Monday:
2 sets of 2- 60 second planks
4 sets of 30 second side planks (on each side)
120 sit ups
Walk 1.5 miles
Read the Bible Daily
Pray Daily
Fast


Just so you know, I'm taking a break on the whole TwEATs thing for a couple of weeks--it's a little too much of an interruption right now.  If I suck it up on my weigh-ins, I'll start it back up.

4 comments:

  South Beach Steve

January 26, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Beej, you have been that guy for a while.

The further I go in this journey, the more I realize people out there need 'that guy' or 'that gal' to inspire them. This isn't an easy journey for many, and any source of inspiration they can find is a help. Just look around us and see the number of weight loss bloggers who are succeeding, then look around IRL and see the number who are succeeding. The difference is big, at least in my world.

  Call me Ishmael

January 26, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Hey Beej,

Yes, you are definitely "that guy," and you have been for quite awhile to all of us in blogworld! You are a motivator to everyone who comes to your site, methinks. And it's *really* important, IMHO, that you are a source of inspiration to folks BUT not somebody who is doing a fad diet or a "quick fix." You are doing it all the right way -- behavior modification, working out, no shortcuts. If only more people knew that the answer isn't some "magic" formula but simply tuning into their own habits and tweaking them here and there. And then continuing to tweak as you go along. Anyway...more power to you, Beej!

  Dadshrinks

January 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

There's 4 or 5 people out here in bloggerland that are 'That Guy' to me. And you're certainly one of those, beej. It's a true inspiration to be able to go into google reader daily and see what you and a few others are going through, knowing you've all been where I am now. Keep up the awesome work, my friend!

  josie

January 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

You are DEFINITELY THAT GUY to me!!!! Without a doubt!!!

You are VERY inspiring to me...success breeds success, ya know? Seeing your success has really helped me see that this IS possible!